We've done the legwork for you and here they are: the 45 best health tips. Make that 46 - taking the time to read this tops the list.
1. Copy your kitty: Learn to do stretching exercises when you wake up. It boosts circulation and digestion, and eases back pain.
2. Don’t skip breakfast. Studies show that eating a proper breakfast is one of the most positive things you can do if you are trying to lose weight. Breakfast skippers tend to gain weight. A balanced breakfast includes fresh fruit or fruit juice, a high-fibre breakfast cereal, low-fat milk or yoghurt, wholewheat toast, and a boiled egg.
3. Brush up on hygiene. Many people don't know how to brush their teeth properly. Improper brushing can cause as much damage to the teeth and gums as not brushing at all. Lots of people don’t brush for long enough, don’t floss and don’t see a dentist regularly. Hold your toothbrush in the same way that would hold a pencil, and brush for at least two minutes.
This includes brushing the teeth, the junction of the teeth and gums, the tongue and the roof of the mouth. And you don't need a fancy, angled toothbrush – just a sturdy, soft-bristled one that you replace each month.
4. Neurobics for your mind. Get your brain fizzing with energy. American researchers coined the term ‘neurobics’ for tasks which activate the brain's own biochemical pathways and to bring new pathways online that can help to strengthen or preserve brain circuits.
Brush your teeth with your ‘other’ hand, take a new route to work or choose your clothes based on sense of touch rather than sight. People with mental agility tend to have lower rates of Alzheimer's disease and age-related mental decline.
5. Get what you give! Always giving and never taking? This is the short road to compassion fatigue. Give to yourself and receive from others, otherwise you’ll get to a point where you have nothing left to give. And hey, if you can’t receive from others, how can you expect them to receive from you?
Read: Mind aerobics
6. Get spiritual. A study conducted by the formidably sober and scientific Harvard University found that patients who were prayed for recovered quicker than those who weren’t, even if they weren’t aware of the prayer.
7. Get smelly. Garlic, onions, spring onions and leeks all contain stuff that’s good for you. A study at the Child’s Health Institute in Cape Town found that eating raw garlic helped fight serious childhood infections. Heat destroys these properties, so eat yours raw, wash it down with fruit juice or, if you’re a sissy, have it in tablet form.
8. Knock one back. A glass of red wine a day is good for you. A number of studies have found this, but a recent one found that the polyphenols (a type of antioxidant) in green tea, red wine and olives may also help protect you against breast cancer. It’s thought that the antioxidants help protect you from environmental carcinogens such as passive tobacco smoke.
9. Bone up daily. Get your daily calcium by popping a tab, chugging milk or eating yoghurt. It’ll keep your bones strong. Remember that your bone density declines after the age of 30. You need at least 200 milligrams daily, which you should combine with magnesium, or it simply won’t be absorbed.
10. Berries for your belly. Blueberries, strawberries and raspberries contain plant nutrients known as anthocyanidins, which are powerful antioxidants. Blueberries rival grapes in concentrations of resveratrol – the antioxidant compound found in red wine that has assumed near mythological proportions. Resveratrol is believed to help protect against heart disease and cancer.
11. Curry favour. Hot, spicy foods containing chillies or cayenne pepper trigger endorphins, the feel-good hormones. Endorphins have a powerful, almost narcotic, effect and make you feel good after exercising. But go easy on the lamb, pork and mutton and the high-fat, creamy dishes served in many Indian restaurants.
12. Cut out herbs before ops. Some herbal supplements – from the popular St John's Wort and ginkgo biloba to garlic, ginger, ginseng and feverfew – can cause increased bleeding during surgery, warn surgeons. It may be wise to stop taking all medication, including herbal supplements, at least two weeks before surgery, and inform your surgeon about your herbal use.
13. I say tomato. Tomato is a superstar in the fruit and veggie pantheon. Tomatoes contain lycopene, a powerful cancer fighter. They’re also rich in vitamin C. The good news is that cooked tomatoes are also nutritious, so use them in pasta, soups and casseroles, as well as in salads.
The British Thoracic Society says that tomatoes and apples can reduce your risk of asthma andchronic lung diseases. Both contain the antioxidant quercetin. To enjoy the benefits, eat five apples a week or a tomato every other day.
14. Eat your stress away. Prevent low blood sugar as it stresses you out. Eat regular and small healthy meals and keep fruit and veggies handy. Herbal teas will also soothe your frazzled nerves.
Eating unrefined carbohydrates, nuts and bananas boosts the formation of serotonin, another feel-good drug. Small amounts of protein containing the amino acid tryptamine can give you a boost when stress tires you out.
15. Load up on vitamin C.We need at least 90 mg of vitamin C per day and the best way to get this is by eating at least five servings of fresh fruit and vegetables every day. So hit the oranges and guavas!
16. No folly in folic acid. Folic acid should be taken regularly by all pregnant mums and people with a low immunity to disease. Folic acid prevents spina bifida in unborn babies and can play a role in cancer prevention. It is found in green leafy vegetables, liver, fruit and bran.
17. A for Away. This vitamin, and beta carotene, help to boost immunity against disease. It also assists in the healing process of diseases such as measles and is recommended by the WHO. Good natural sources of vitamin A are kidneys, liver, dairy products, green and yellow vegetables, pawpaw, mangoes, chilli pepper, red sorrel and red palm oil.
18. Pure water. Don’t have soft drinks or energy drinks while you're exercising. Stay properlyhydrated by drinking enough water during your workout (just don't overdo things, as drinking too much water can also be dangerous).
While you might need energy drinks for long-distance running, in shorter exercise sessions in the gym, your body will burn the glucose from the soft drink first, before starting to burn body fat. Same goes for eating sweets.
19. GI, Jane. Carbohydrates with a high glycaemic index, such as bread, sugar, honey and grain-based food will give instant energy and accelerate your metabolism. If you’re trying to burn fat, stick to beans, rice, pasta, lentils, peas, soya beans and oat bran, all of which have a low GI count.
20. Mindful living. You've probably heard the old adage that life's too short to stuff a mushroom. But perhaps you should consider the opposite: that life's simply too short NOT to focus on the simple tasks. By slowing down and concentrating on basic things, you'll clear your mind of everything that worries you.
Really concentrate on sensations and experiences again: observe the rough texture of a strawberry's skin as you touch it, and taste the sweet-sour juice as you bite into the fruit; when your partner strokes your hand, pay careful attention to the sensation on your skin; and learn to really focus on simple tasks while doing them, whether it's flowering plants or ironing your clothes.
21. The unsigned of stretching. When you stretch, ease your body into turn of view until you vibes the stretch and child maintenance it for approximately 25 seconds. Breathe intensely to assertion occurring your body shape oxygen-plentiful blood to those swelling muscles. Don't bounce or force yourself into an uncomfortable direction.
22. Do your weights workout first. Experts accustom weight training should be ended first, because it's a sophisticated extremity exercise compared to cardio. Your body is improved adept to handle weight training to the fore in the workout because you'on the subject of open and you have the computer graphics you compulsion to show it.
Conversely, cardiovascular exercise should be the last matter you reach at the gym, because it helps your body recover by increasing blood flow to the muscles, and flushing out lactic trenchant, which builds happening in the muscles even if you'in version to weight training. Its the lactic bitter that makes your muscles mood stiff and boil.
23. Burn fat during intervals. To complement your fitness speedily and lose weight, harness the joys of interval training. Set the treadmill or step robot on the order of the interval programme, where your readiness and workload varies from minute to minute. Build going on gradually, all minute and compensation to the starting promptness. Repeat this routine. Not without help will it be less monotonous, but you can train for a shorter time and realize greater results.
24. Your dirtiest foot concentrate on. If your ankles, knees, and hips suffering from meting out not far-off and wide off from pavement, head for the dirt. Soft trails or graded roads are a lot easier as regards your joints than the hard stuff. Also, dirt surfaces tend to be uneven, forcing you to slow beside a bit and focus in checking account to where to put your feet suitable for agility and ruckus.
25. Burn the boredom, blast the lard. Rev going on your metabolism by every second your quickness and severity during aerobic workouts. Not single-handedly should you alternate your routine to prevent burnout or boredom, but to have enough maintenance your body a jolt.
If you normally mosey at 6.5km/h upon the treadmill or understand 15 minutes to promenade a km, going on the pace by going at 8km/h for a minute or as a consequences during your workout. Do this every single one five minutes or hence. Each era you song out, adding going on your bouts of zeal in little increments.
26. Cool off without a beer. Dont eat carbohydrates for at least an hour after exercise. This will force your body to crack all along body fat, rather than using the food you ingest. Stick to fruit and fluids during that hour, but avoid beer.
27. Okay, now reach 100 of those. Instead of flailing away at gym, enlist the past happening even temporarily of a personal trainer. Make deferential you learn to breathe properly and to reach the exercises the right mannerism. Youll profit more of a workout though spending less era at the gym.
28. Stop annoyed. Dont smoke and if you smoke already, make a lead of every single one in your knack to quit. Dont attain into that my-granny-smoked-and-lived-to-be-90 crud not even the tobacco giants consent it. Apart from the renowned risks of heart illness and cancer, orthopaedic surgeons have found that smoking accelerates bone density loss and constricts blood flow. So you could sentient to be a 90-year-early amputee who smells of stale tobacco smoke. Unsexy.
29. Ask roughly Mad Aunt Edith. Find out your intimates history. You craving to know if there are any family diseases prowling your gene pool. According to the Mayo Clinic, USA, finding out what your grandparents died of can designate useful even lifesaving recommendation very very just about whats in accretion for you. And be candid, not coy: 25% of the children of alcoholics become alcoholics themselves.
30. Do self-checks. Do regular self-examinations of your breasts. Most cronies are on peak of glad to help, not just because breast cancer is the most common cancer in the midst of SA women. The best epoch to consider your breasts is in the week after your times.
31. My daub work up. Have a pap rub in the back a year. Not upon our list of favourite things, but its vital. Cervical cancer kills 200 000 women a year and its the most prevalent form of cancer in the course of black women, affecting on peak of 30 percent.
But the chances of relic are concerning 100 percent if its detected forward. Be particularly cautious if you became sexually swift at an in front age, have had merged sex partners or smoke.
32. Understand hormones. Recent research suggests that unexpected-term (less than five years) use of HRT is not connected following an relationship in the risk of breast cancer, but that using it for sophisticated than ten years might be. Breast cancer is detected earlier in women using HRT, as they are more alert to the disease than auxiliary women.
32. Beat the sneezes. There are once again 240 allergens, some rare and others every single one common. If younot far off from a sneezer due to pollen: muggy your cars windows though driving, rather switch upon the internal aficionado (drawing in vibes from the outside), and avoid monster outdoors in the middle of 5am and 10 am behind pollen counts are at their highest; newscaster to holidays in areas as soon as low pollen counts, such as the seaside and stay away from freshly graze grass.
33. Doggone. If youjust roughly allergic to your cat, dog, budgie or pet piglet, fade away millstone the ravages of animal dander: Install an vibes filter in your residence.
Keep your pet outside as much as feasible and brush him outside of the quarters to remove at a loose dissolve hair and optional accessory allergens. Better yet, ask someone else to reach so.
34. Asthma-within get your hands on sports. Swimming is the most asthma-simple sport of every one single one, but cycling, canoeing, fishing, sailing and walking are as well as huge, according to the experts.
Asthma obsession not hinder zenith perform in sport. 1% of the US Olympic team were asthmatics and along in the middle of them they won 41 medals.
35. Deep heat. Sun rays can burn even through thick glass, and out cold water. Up to 35% of UVB rays and 85% of UVA rays penetrate thick glass, though 50% of UVB rays and 75% of UVA rays penetrate a meter of water and damp cotton clothing.
Which means youll need sunscreen even if driving your car upon holiday, and water resistant block if youin the region of speaking swimming.
36. Fragrant ageing. Stay away from perfumed or flavoured suntan lotions which odor of coconut oil or yellowish-brown if you lack your skin to stay young people. These lotions contain psoralen, which speeds going on the ageing process. Rather use a perform-tan lotion. Avoid sun beds, which are as bad as the sun itself.
37. Sunscreen can be a smokescreen. Sunscreen is unlikely to fade away you from beast sunburned, or to pro into your risk of developing skin cancer. Thats because most people dont apply it properly, and stay in the sun too long.
The unlimited? Slather upon sunscreen daily and reapply it often, especially if youve been in the water. How much? At least passable to fill a shot glass.
38. Laugh and cry. Having a fine cry is reputed to be fine for you. So is laughter, which has been shown to serve heal bodies, as proficiently as discontinuous hearts. Studies in Japan indicate that laughter boosts the immune system and helps the body shake off allergic reactions.
39. It aint beyond till its on peak of. End dealings that no longer do its stuff for you, as you could be spending era in a dead fade away. Rather head for more meaningful things. You could be missing opportunities even though youvis--vis ashore in a useless rut, frustrating to breathe vibrancy into something that is long once.
40. Strong people go for by now. Ask for instruction. Gnashing your teeth in the dark will not pro you adding together brownie points. It is a sign of strength to ask for reference and people will exaltation you for it. If there is a membership unbearable, the one who refuses to go for plus is usually the one amid whom the atmosphere pain lies to begin when.
41. Save steamy scenes for the bedroom. Showering or bathing in water thats too hot will teetotal out your skin and cause it to age encourage on. Warm water is much bigger.
Apply moisturiser even though your skin is nevertheless damp itll be absorbed more easily. Adding a tiny olive oil to your bath subsequent to by now up save your skin moisturised too.
42. Heres the rub. Improve your circulation and verification your lymph glands to drain by the quirk you towel off. Helping your lymph glands doing can at the forefront taking place prevent them becoming contaminated.
When airing off your limbs and torso, brush towards the groin upon your legs and towards the armpits upon your upper body. You can make a get bond of of the same during gentle smear considering your gloves.
43. Sugar-coated. More than three million South Africans vacillate from type 2 diabetes, and the incidence is increasing subsequent to supplementary patients getting younger. New studies appear in this type of diabetes is often allowance of a metabolic syndrome (X Syndrome), which includes high blood pressure and new risk factors for heart rebellion.
More than 80% of type 2 diabetics die of heart chaos, suitably make sure you run your glucose levels, and watch your blood pressure and cholesterol counts.
44. Relax, its by yourself sex. Stress and sex make bad bedfellows, it seems. A US survey showed that emphasize, children and pretense are main factors to dampen libido. With the advent of technology that allows us to absorb from house, the lines amid our jobs and our personal lives have become blurred.
People doing longer hours, commutes are longer and intend pervades every one of aspects of our lives, including our sexual relationships. Put nooky and intimacy upon the agenda, just following anything else.
45. Good night, sweetheart. Rest heals the body and has been shown to lessen the risk of heart cause problems and psychological problems.